Your visa

Students sitting on bench outside campus

Student visa information

You will need a Student visa (formerly known as a Tier 4 visa) to study an integrated programme at Teesside University International Study Centre.

Students at Teesside University International Study Centre applying for one of our integrated programmes will benefit from an Integrated CAS (iCAS) – with visa sponsorship from the University for the full duration of their integrated programme. You will benefit from only needing to make one visa application to study in the UK, saving you time and money as you won’t need to obtain a new visa before you progress to your course of study with the University. Please note the 3 term International Foundation Year in February and October are offered on a Study Group CAS.

The UK has introduced a new Student visa route (replacing the previous Tier 4 route) which forms part of the new Points Based Immigration System. EEA nationals outside the UK will now apply under this route for entry to the UK from 1st January 2021. For all other nationals, this new route took effect from 9am on 5th October 2020. You can see an overview of the changes here.

Will I be eligible for a student visa?

You can apply for a Student visa to study at Teesside University International Study Centre if you’re 16 or over, and you:

When should I apply for my visa?

When you can apply depends on whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK. The earliest you can apply for a visa from outside the UK is 6 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

The earliest you can apply from inside the UK is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires and your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

A CAS will only be provided within these time limits** and you should make sure you apply early, to leave enough time for your application to be processed and to arrive and enrol before the course start date.

How long can I stay?

In addition to the period of leave given to you to carry out your course of study, permission to stay will also be granted depending on your length of course. For integrated programmes of 3 year duration, you should be granted an additional 4 months after your course end date, to allow you time to settle your affairs before your leave the UK or switch into another visa category that allows you to remain in the UK. You may be eligible to switch to a Graduate visa to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing your course.

Conditions of the visa

Once you have received your visa and have begun studying with us, it is important that you attend 100% of your classes. If you do not meet the attendance requirements, you risk losing your visa – as well as the right to live, study and work in the UK. 

The visa process

To apply for a Student visa to study on an integrated programme, you must:

  1. Apply for the programme of your choice at Teesside University International Study Centre, and receive an offer.
  2. Send the requested documents to be checked by the admissions team or your student enrolment advisor.
  3. Pay a deposit.

Subject to meeting the required conditions of your offer and in accordance with the University’s Sponsored Student Policy, a CAS will be issued for you to apply for your visa.

Visa credibility interviews

You may be required to attend a credibility interview with UKVI to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules. The purpose of the interview is for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) to ensure that you are a genuine student and that you have credible reasons for coming to the UK to study an integrated programme.

You will be interviewed in person, on the phone, or via video link by a visa officer from UKVI. You will be asked to talk in English about your reasons for coming to the UK and about your study plans. Your ability to converse in English will be assessed as part of the interview. It is very important that you prepare carefully for the interview and think about how you will answer the questions.

If you fail to attend the interview, or if you do not answer the visa officer’s questions in sufficient detail, or in a satisfactory level of English, you may be refused a visa. Find out more here.

The visa officer will ask you questions which aim to check if you genuinely intend to be a student in the UK. It is possible that the questions will focus on some of the following areas:

Why did you choose Teesside University International Study Centre?

What made you choose Teesside University International Study Centre and the University, rather than another institution? Consider what your reasons are for choosing to study at this institution, and ensure you are able to communicate these with your interviewer.

Did you consider other courses?

Tell the interviewer about your research. Did you look at other options, and how did you decide this course was the best for you? How will it fit in with your future career plans?

Why do you want to study in the UK?

With so many countries offering higher education, why does the UK appeal the most? Make sure you have fully researched Teesside University International Study Centre and Teesside University – along with accommodation options, costs, and the local area and familiarise yourself with the content of your chosen course.

If you applied to study with us directly through our online application form, your student enrolment advisor is available to help with all visa-related enquiries, such as help booking your visa interview and English language testing. Our team speak more than a dozen languages so you can feel comfortable and supported throughout this time.

What if my visa is refused?

You will be told in your application refusal letter if you can ask for the decision on your visa application to be reviewed if you believe an error has been made. This is known as an administrative review. If you do not meet the criteria set out in UKVI’s immigration rules, your application will be refused. Further information can be found here.

 * Subject to UKVI approval

** Subject to UKVI approval


Receive your iCAS a maximum of 3 months before the start of your programme.

Work after study

Want to work in the UK after graduating? Find out more about your employment opportunities with Teesside.

Find out more

Join us today

Our student enrolment advisors are available to answer your questions and help you with your application. We can’t wait to meet you.